Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Anna is originally from Vic, a small city near Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain). She obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Biology (Sanitary Biology) at the School of Biology of the University of Barcelona. For her Graduate education she joined the Molecular Oncology and Embryology Lab, under the supervision of Prof. Monzó and Dr. Navarro in the School of Medicine of the University of Barcelona. There, she obtained a Master’s Degree in Developmental Biology and Genetics (Human Genetics) and a PhD in Medicine. During 5 years she focused her research in the area of non-coding RNAs in colorectal cancer, lung cancer and hematological malignancies. She defended her doctoral thesis entitled “Small non-coding RNAs in Hodgkin Lymphoma: epigenetic regulation of microRNAs and the importance of the PIWI/piRNA pathway” in November 2016.
She moved to Canada in spring 2017 to join Berman Lab in the hematology research area. She is very excited to apply her knowledge of molecular oncology on leukemia research in zebrafish.
Apart from doing science, Anna likes to spend her time singing, playing the violin, reading, traveling and trying new restaurants and cafés with her friends.
- Non-Coding RNAs in Hodgkin Lymphoma. Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 May 29;18(6).
- PiwiRNA-651 as marker of treatment response and survival in classical Hodgkin lymphoma. Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 14.
- The lincRNA HOTAIRM1, located in the HOXA genomic region, is expressed in acute myeloid leukemia, impacts prognosis in patients in the intermediate-risk cytogenetic category, and is associated with a distinctive microRNA signature. Oncotarget. 2015 Oct 13;6(31):31613-27.
- The expression level of BAALC-associated microRNA miR-3151 is an independent prognostic factor in younger patients with cytogenetic intermediate-risk acute myeloid leukemia. Blood Cancer J. 2015 Oct 2;5:e352.
- Epigenetic regulation of microRNA expression in Hodgkin lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2015;56(9):2683-9.